Recycling on a tired planet!

...

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Stitching and quilting

The photos are better seen large!

I would like to show you how things develop. This is going to be a very huge piece if you think that the whole piece I have till now is about 1/15th of the whole.

This first photo is about embroidery changes to the punched ladies. I want the piece to look folkloric in some way. I'm getting more colors in it but very carefully... I think it's ging to grow more and more colorfull, a transition from earth to sky. The ladies have roots and everything's earthy here...









You can also see in the next photos how the background is coming to life. There is the self dyed thread and the stitches that bond the surface to a flannel piece. I'm going to use parcial background pieces and sew them after I quilt them. I don't like to handle huge pieces while quilting and stitching. It's too hot and my shoulders won't like it!

The inner part of the next picture really seems to glow if you see it large. The contrast of the dyed colors with the natural color of the wool is something I love.



The medaillon on the next picture is a piece of a paysley headscarf. It melted nicely into the wool.




I also enjoyed doing this kind of folk stripes in the middle of the sweater ribs. I also used the fabric for the appliqué. I'm enjoying so much that all these fabrics and materials were hidden for years in my stash!

5 comments:

karen said...

I think this piece of work is outstanding, I think your idea of re-using all your stash is fantastic and I really admire the care you have for the planet. Starting a new blog on this theme is great and I am going to put it on my favourites straight away. I can't wait for the next installment!

Elizabeth Armstrong said...

This blog is outstanding not to mention inspiring! I am really enjoying seeing you utilise your long collected stash. Happy creating Sara!

Raggy said...

I am really excited about this new blog Sarah. I just love the way you are incorporating fabrics into your felt in different ways. Your skills are extensive and your imagination even more so. I wake up each morning and go straight to your blog so see how your work is progressing.

Jacky said...

Sara I *love* your new blog... you are so inspirational and I love this new ecological/environmental feel to your pieces.

Ravenhill said...

Your piece is incredible. How wonderful to see it unfolding. Thank you for sharing your amazing talents and inspiring us all!
~Emily