Recycling on a tired planet!

...

Thursday, July 3, 2008

My recycling journal

This is going to be my journal about my recycling-recycled-art.

Newly I have the want to create art out of my immense stash of material. There are so many things in my storage place that want to be included in some piece.

It is the birth of a new era that began with this:



I have about 5 jars of this kind of buttons and I don't know how many of another kinds...

I am thinking already for a long time how can I work differently, without having a negative impact on the planet. The 100-300 years we all should live to use our stash (plus what you buy in all the 100-300 years so that you would need 1000 years next time, plus....) together with a little bit of common sense are also good arguments.

So I began a piece without knowing where it would take me. Now it looks like this:




I used wool, fabric rests, some wonderful fabric pieces I got today from Mary (thank you Mary for your wonderful piece and all the goodies!!), threads I bought years ago in Czeckoslovakia, a yoyo that laid there, a piece of an old jumper...

Here you see some details:







I am quite happy with the result. I got caught in the middle of the process and had to try different things. The idea in the beginning was very simple but I'm not that simple I think!
Now I'm thinking that it would be a nice fabric for a jacket...

I also tried the system in color



but I noticed it's not for me. Too many decisions to make.

I will keep it simple and continue in the colors of nature... And I think it's going to be a throw or a sheep. Why a sheep? because in the process I thought I was turning everything back to the source. I was adding wool to wool, horn buttons, thread, and making something out of them. As if you pieced something in all of it parts and then put all together again...

This is also a technique I can only recommend. Use wool to make an own fabric of memory.

13 comments:

Raggy said...

Just love this work Sarah and the idea of making your work go back to nature. I to, enjoy the feeling when you just create with the fabric you have and the excitement of not having any idea how it will turn out.
Keep up this good work.

sara aires said...

Great thought! This is the way I like to work myself. :)
I just think you manage to structure a whole different way of explaining it. But I seriously believe that this is the better way to create innovation. If you go where your mind tells you to, then the path you walk upon can only be yours.
Cheers Sarah!

:)*

ethel and edna's tearoom said...

This is brilliant stuff. I so agree about using what we have or recycling materials. There are many beautiful new fabrics on the market but to reuse and recycle is surely a better way to work. My own stash would probably last me 100 years too :o) Your new blog will be a real inspiration to follow this principle and use up what I have.

Angelcat said...

I love your work Sara, and find the idea of using things just from your existing stash very inspirational. I look forward to seeing how your ideas develop

Margie Oomen said...

I love this concept . I agree that the things we make in this way hold memory of where they came from and who helped in their creation. Like the collective craft conscience. I look forward to future posts.

Joei Rhode Island said...

Sara, it just goes to prove there is nothing new under the sun. Women have been thrifty and careful regarding using what they have for a long time. It is only recently we have become a less so. I will love seeing where this journey takes you. Will you still do your other blog? I was trying to learn German and my house is full of little tags with German words...

Gutes Glück mit Ihrem neuen Blog.

Joei
Rhode Island

Jan said...

I should like to join you on this journey. Maybe I should start a blog to document my journey or No, I shall begin to create an art journal, in conjunction with my friend Martha, who has just begun her own. I have stuck to my decision all year to not purchase any new fabric. I have picked up some used pieces at garage sales but not much. Still, years worth of stuff in this studio.
Jan

bockfilz said...

Du bist so doll, Sara - Du machst nicht nur super Sachen, sondern denkst auch viel nach und hast sehr gute Idéen. Ich bewundere Dich und bekomme soviel Inspiration! Das Verwenden von vorhandenen Materialen und Recycling ist auch mir ein großes Anliegen ... Danke und lieben Gruß! Anneli

PS. Gibt es jetzt diesen ersten Workshop/Muster auch auf deutsch und wie komme ich da heran?

art spirit said...

Sara, love how you used the kimono fabric! And I love the idea of keeping an artists journal about using recycled fabrics in your projects...I may have to try that too.
Your piece is wonderful...as always!

Mart Bright said...

I admire anyone who is following this path. I'm not as far along as I'd like to be but it's inspiring to check in with people like you (and Jan!) who are putting these ideas into practice. As the wife of a climate-change scientist I am so aware of what we're doing to this planet and how we can change the direction by everyday habits. Or not.

sukipoet said...

Well I do think artists are collectors and it is probably true that if any of us used up the supplies of any nature we now have we could make things for quite some time. Beautiful work. Thanks for your new blog.

Ravenhill said...

Your comments on the ever increasing stash of some of us crafters really hit home. I think about it and feel guilty about it, but find it hard not to buy more. I just love that you are using your stash, writing and thinking about this very timely topic. I wonder though if in a very short time we won't have the opportunity to purchase so much, if the economy goes quite sour we might all find ourselves pinching every penny?
Wonderful post!!!
~Emily

Uschi said...

I Love how your soul and brain work.
Just had a similiar idea about my zillions of watercolour-sketches...
USE them instead of making piles with half-cooked stuff!

the word verification for this post is: oplelvft...reminds me of uplift:)